A CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS
In recent weeks, we have seen a steady decline in our volunteers willing to come in to support our thrift stores due to the upward trend of COVID-19 cases in our community and the impending second wave. Thus, our urgent call for volunteers.
The majority of our volunteers at the SOS Children’s Village thrift stores are seniors who have retired from work and love to give back to the community. They have dedicated a day every week in their life to supporting children, youth, and families in need of care. Unfortunately, many of these volunteers are no longer able to work in our stores due to the pandemic.
Although it is a challenge this year to find new volunteers, I am hopeful that willing and generous individuals in our community who want to give some of their time to a worthy cause will answer our call.
Our youth leaders are a great group to consider. Do you fall in this group? Or do you know a young leader willing and wanting to get involved and that is ready to step up to the plate?
For youth, volunteering with us can give:
- the hours they need to complete their Career and Planning course credits
- the experience of a retail customer service working environment
- a reference for employment based on their time with SOS BC
- a way to spend their time in a meaningful, contributing manner
- a chance to give back to their community so other youth can share the same opportunities and experiences as they do
Here’s the direct link to sign up as a volunteer:
Thrift Store Volunteer Application
Thank you for helping spread the word about our call for volunteers at our thrift stores.
By Kistie Singh, Executive Director
Edited by William Brennan