Video: Thrift Stores
Visit the shops in 2 locations
The Thrift Store Foundation is an arms length, sister organization to SOS Children's Village BC. Our operations are supported in part by the Foundation's two thrift stores. The many volunteers and the staff who work in the two thrift stores, recognize that they work with purpose and commitment which allows SOS programs for foster children and youth to have sustainability.
The SOS Children's Village Thrift Store Foundation location in the community of Steveston in Richmond, first opened its doors in 1992, as a way to raise funds for the creation of an SOS Children's Village. In 1999, the store expanded to its present size on Moncton Street in Steveston. Today, approximately 50 volunteers work in or support that store. The store is managed by one paid manager and a team of approximately five to eight volunteers each day of the week.
The Kerrisdale location is also modeled after the successful Steveston store and opened in July of 2006. SOS Children's Village Thrift Store Foundation Kerrisdale is "chic" in style and consistently gives the public an opportunity to purchase affordable quality products. It is supported by two part time paid managers and a company of dedicated volunteers.
To get an insight into our daily work life at one of the Thrift stores, read some of the Thrift Stories.
The thrift stores have their own Facebook page with featured items and news you won't want to miss:
Please click the image below to view the brochure.
SOS Children’s Village Thrift Volunteers
We offer volunteer opportunities for everyone. Fill out our Thrift Store Volunteer application form for an exciting opportunity to help out in a team environment!
We would be delighted to have you join one of our Thrift store teams.
SOS Children’s Village Thrift Store Foundation volunteers perform a variety of tasks, including – sorting donations, pricing, displays, stock turnover, public relations, customer service, tidying and store maintenance. Volunteers are assigned to one or more days a week and trained on the job by their designated leader.
Volunteers are asked to make a minimum of a 6 month commitment to SOS Children’s Village Thrift. At the end of 6 months service, each volunteer receives a certificate and a silver SOS Children's Village Pin. The gold SOS pin is awarded to those with over 5 years of service – there are MANY volunteers who have achieved this level!!
Volunteers are welcome to shop in the store, but pricing is the same as customer pricing.
SOS Children’s Village Thrift volunteers form close bonds with one another and also enjoy a sociable environment together.
SOS Children’s Village Thrift volunteers represent the SOS Children's Village Society of BC to the public and work as a team to support the families of the SOS Children’s Village located in Surrey, BC.
Duties of a SOS Children’s Village Thrift Volunteer include:
- Opening and closing of store – guidelines provided
- Sorting goods donated to the store into appropriate category.
- for disposal
- for re-cycling
- for storage
- for pricing
- Pricing goods according to guidelines provided
- Displaying goods in the sales area
- Merchandise control/turn-over of goods
- Providing information about SOS Children’s Village to the public
All SOS Children’s Village Thrift Volunteers:
- Participate in an initial interview
- Have on the job training
- Use the store operations manual to inform themselves about policies
- Have a 90-day probation period to ensure placement is working
- Work under the direction of the Day Leader or Store Manager, informing her in advance if they are unable to work on their assigned day
- Are invited to participate in volunteer social activities
- Are invited to volunteer for other SOS fundraising events
- Solicit support from their community for the thrift store (ie. donations)
SOS Children's Village Thrift Store Foundation Managers